Saturday, May 5, 2012

Grad School Ahoy!


Graduating with your English degree into a veritable wasteland of employment opportunities sucks. This, coupled with my realization that school is the only thing I’ve good at, led me 11 months ago to embark on the dubious adventure known to some as “applying to grad school.” To those who had survived the ordeal, it is better known as “that time I self medicated with tequila. Repeatedly. For months.”

While waiting to hear back from schools, I left my almost minimum wage job in a faux tuxedo covered in mayonnaise and defeat.  


But after my acceptance, I still leave work covered in WIN! (And sometimes red velvet ice cream.)



While the lows of the post-graduate are low, the highs are high, and it’s safe to say that getting my acceptance two days from the national deadline into my dream program was better than Christmas, Easter, and my birthday all rolled into one.

I do not posit that grad school will solve my problems. Rather, it will probably bestow me with new, terrifying ones that my mind cannot even conceive of at the moment. But that’s okay, because this is the start of career that will doubtlessly be far more rewarding.

Stayed tuned as we gradually move from “what do I do with this B.A. in English” to “I am in grad school and going insane!”

No comments:

Post a Comment